Thursday, February 09, 2012

Lymphedema Family Study - Financial Crises

Family members, last Fall, I wrote about the desperate financial situation of the Lymphedema Family Study at the University of Pittsburg and I also wanted to share it with you.

When I got active online back in 2003, there was only one confirmed lymphedema gene - VEGFC - and one suspected FOXC2.

Now, a few years later there are eight confirmed genes responsible for hereditary lymphedema and the syndromes associated with it.

We always complain about the medical world not caring, and I wish I could convey Dr. Finegold's dedication to lymphedema genetic studies. You'll never find anyone more committed to the lymphedema world then he is.

This is our chance to stand up and be counted - and - to show that we believe our lives to be worth being cured. If there is anything, anything you can do, please follow the link to the study and help.


Here is an excerpt from his note:

"I'm in a situation where I need to reach out to people in the lymphedema community.

I believe we have identified an opportunity to significantly affect wound healing by stimulating lymphangeogenesis in preparations of adipocyte stem cells or a mesenchymal stromal fraction prepared from adipocytes.

I believe this may also possibly be an avenue to the effective treatment of lymhepdema.

At this point in time, we don't haave sufficient funding to do the experiments for proof of principle. I need to identify a commercial or foundation entity who might be willing to seed us for six months or so to solidify our preliminary data.

Best,

David (Dr. Finegold)