Wednesday, October 26, 2005

What to do if Your Baby has Lymphedema


By Silkie

I have been searching every where to try and get information for our mumsAnd I am shocked, There is no help. I have been thinking what I would doAs a Mum.

I am a Mum with lymphedema, I could not sit and wait, till my chilld was 3.

I would do simple routine with my baby.

1) In the bath I would always stroke the infected limbs upwards away from the fingers or toes. Playing and laughing making a game of it as we went along .

2) Never run dry a limb that has swelling pat and it must be thoroughly dry all the little creases in the limb take extra care with, Particular attention to between toes and fingers. The least tiny break in the skin can cause bad infection.

3) Nail care. Toe nails always cut straight across keep them short as possible. If one caught on something and tore it could set of infection.

4) I would use a cream (non scented) on the limb paying attention to toes or fingersall the time remember work up not down the limb and soft as a babies breath, stroke the cream up the limb even if only a few strokes let this be a fun thing, your preparing you little one for a routine that he/she will have to follow for life.

Always up the limb one- way don’t bring your hand back down the body in contact with the skin just upward stroke.

If there is any change in colour or reddening of skin stop this has to be so soft it does not change colour of the skin.

5) I am not suggesting you wrap but might be fun to get baby used to you handling the limb by pretending to. May be while your wrapping round do a nursery rhymethe round a round the garden one something like that just all the time getting your baby used to the touch and feel of you doing these things.

6) I would always have the limb covered wither with long sleeves or pants again you will be helping you baby get used to having something on the limb at all times.

7) Remember extreme Heat and cold are bad for lymphedema try to avoid at all times.

8) Always have some form of footwear on if the legs are infected remembering that the limbs can swell and a tight fitting shoe can not only rub the skin maybe causing an infection but also damage the development of baby’s feet.

9) Exercise is good for the limb. I have to do a foot exercise lying down I point my toes to the ground then back up again at the ankle. I lift my leg keeping it straight from the bed as high as I can, I try to draw my knees up to my tummy.Little thing like that could be fun.

10) I did a bonding yoga massage with my daughter, I found the best place was on the floor. My legs in a diamond shape with big blanket over them and my daughter between my legs she was comfortable, we really had lots of songs giggles fun.

11) Baby’s bottom . I would be extra careful changing often, remember one tiny break in skin can allow an infection to start.

These are just my own thoughts on how I would try to deal with lymph if I had a babyLet us hope you get help. But like one or two of our Mums have been told leave it to little. It must be agonising, if nothing else I would try to get my child used to the touch and feel of what is after all going to be their every day routine.You may have your own ideas of how to Help your baby somwe things you have tried all ready If you have weather successful or not let us know lets get some personal experience together for others the positives and negatives.

Lets keep this information coming in. That way mums can find it and do what they think best but there are ideas to help......Silks.................

Additional information: Children with Lymphedema Yahoo Support Group

Subscribe: childrenwithlymphedema-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

See Also: Children's and Pediatric Lymphedema

No comments: